Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dodging Strike of the Phoenix

The phoenix sys. or the windmill palm emphasizes the windmill force of the strike.  While I was practicing the dodging strike today,  I start thinking of how a actual windmill works.  First, it must have a fix rotating point.  Second, The blade which to rotate around that fix point.

This concept above would be similar to having a ball attached by a string, swinging around an fix point.  Using this analogy, I realized that the longer the string, the more rotational force on the ball (provide that the string is not sagging.  The string should have a constant tension on it).  With that in mind, I tried out a phoenix dodging strike to the right with my left shoulder as a fix spot and my right hand as a ball connecting to my left shoulder with stretched arm and torso (the string).  I noticed a lot more horizontal rotational force on the strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment